Tuesday, December 18, 2018

kitchen post 27 - returns/exchanges/handles - starting to really dislike ikea

I went to their store to return some items and exchange some items. well they don't do exchanges. just return it and go buy a new one. never mind that I paid the sale price, and if I go buy it new again now, I don't get the sale price. I had to get a manager to come talk to me. he said that I could go buy it, and while I was waiting for the order to be picked, I could come to them and they'd refund me the difference in sales price. *sigh*. so I returned the two incorrect kitchen island pieces, the 6 drawer fronts the sent me in duplicate, and extra set of drawer side add-ons, and 11 pairs of handles. got $196 on a store credit.

headed upstairs to the kitchen department to have them order the two correct kitchen island pieces, and two replacement drawer fronts that I managed to scratch up. so i waited while they ordered those parts and printed out the paper for me to pay downstairs. but first I had to go upstairs and wait in the kitchen section for an employee to be able to reorder these parts for me.

i chose to return the little 2" wide blankett handles for all the drawers and go for the ones that go the full width of the drawers. the 2" wide ones were just too little. headed over to the handles and picked up the 36" long one for the undersink drawer, three 30" long ones for drawers, three 24" long ones, and was baffled to find zero 18" ones. i checked the stock of everything on their website before i left the house. their website said they had over 20 in stock. so I went back to the kitchen department and asked them to help me find them. they checked their computer and it said they had 27 in stock, so I was right about it saying it was definitely in stock. but they couldn't find any either. he went off somewhere else to check, came back and said he couldn't find them there either. so he ordered four of the 18" handles to be shipped to me with free shipping since their stock was off by so much. but I had to wait for him to do that order, and print me out that paper to pay downstairs since i had to pay for the handles too.

heres a picture of the full width handles on the drawers. much better than the little 2" ones.
.20181220_163935

I asked about the little plastic nub/tabs for the corners of the cupboard doors, and they said they don't sell those, but any home improvement store does. well yeah, I already looked, but what those stores offer doesn't match the thickness of the ikea ones. *sigh*.

I checked out the floor display of an undersink cabinet drawer front to see how those panels are attached for my own knowledge before assembling mine.

In their kitchen display area i saw that they used the longer width handles on the upper cabinet doors as well as the drawer fronts. so now i'm rethinking if I want to keep the smaller ones on the upper cabinets or not. I mean, I already opened a bunch of them so I don't know if I can return them. and the longer handles are much more expensive than the little ones. I don't know. must think for a while.

then I went downstairs to pay and waited in a very long line. then the guy ahead of me had trouble paying because their credit card reader went down. he was able to pay in cash. then the guy rang me up for the handles and my two papers of orders and used my store credit to pay for it, leaving me with $30 to pay. I tried to pay with my credit card, but the machine wouldn't work again. he rebooted everything (and it took FOREVER! like ten minutes for the register to reboot, not even exaggerating). then tried to pay again and it wouldn't let him. he placed multiple calls to ask for a manager and ask for additional cashiers and ask to be moved to a different register because his card reader was down. according to the cashier this happens a lot. the Saturday after thanksgiving he said all the credit card readers in the whole store went down and stayed down. people could only pay by cash or they couldn't buy anything. we waited some more for a manager to come and he tried to void the transaction so I could go to another checkout and it wouldn't let him do that either. he rang up about 5 different people who could pay cash while i waited for the manager. eventually he went and told everyone in line they had to go to another register. after 20-30 minutes of waiting, a manager finally came down and voided the transaction. she took me over to another register and re-rang everything up, but rang one item up 3 times when there was only one of them, so I had to argue that the price was wrong. she finally got that sorted out and gave me a $15 credit for having to wait. which left only $15 to pay. then i finally got away from the checkout area.

went back to the returns area to get my sales price discount on the ordered items, and my number was quite a ways out so I had lots more waiting. they managed to pull my order and I picked that up and signed for it and still had to go wait longer for the returns area to call my number. they refunded the difference onto my credit card for the sale price.

but by then it was 3:30 and rush hour was starting and my patience was gone. I drove from ikea to mom and dads and stopped in to drop off the panel piece for dad, so he can cut the piece out for over the stove, only to find he was out in the garage cutting my shelf piece a tad bit shorter to fit. so we went ahead and cut the piece for over the stove right then and there. I pilfered a bottle of water from moms supply because I was out of water in my car and it was now 4:30 and I had to drive thru more rush hour to get home.

i'm pooped. its been a long frustrating day.

pictures of the little 2" handles on the upper cabinets

mount the handles close?
.20181212_131140

or a little farther apart? (i used painters tape to test out different ideas)
.20181212_131305

should i mount them horizonally? or vertically?
.20181213_090736

the back side view of the handles
.20181213_090745

view of the uppers with the little handles, and the cut panel piece above the stove cabinet to fill in the empty space.
.20181220_163909

the handles are sold in two-packs. i had to buy two of the two-packs for the drawers below. leaving me with and extra 24" handle. so i tried it out on the cabinet up above.
.20181220_163946

i think i like the full width handles for the upper cabinets too. this will require another trip to ikea at some point.
.20181220_163940_Burst01

No comments:

Post a Comment